The things that went wrong in the photo are innumerable. First, I was trying to see if I could shoot through a gap in a chainlink fence with a 4×5 camera. Since I couldn’t get the tripod to bring the camera up against the gap, I had to do it hand-held.
This camera has a shutter speed of about 1/15 of a second. Hand-held is basically out of the question. So I tried it anyway.
There was no way for me to really focus, so I set it on ‘infinity’ and hoped for the best. It didn’t turn out so bad, really – as far as that goes.
The problems are, like the last shot I posted from this camera, due to the lack of velvety light traps where the film holders meet the camera body. Also, possibly a leaky film holder.
The other issues are due to developing using the taco method (which I hope to someday full detail). But a quick note: When employing the taco method, it’s essential to place an empty developing reel on top of the taco’d sheets. This will keep everything in place and allow for a soft bit of agitation. You might even want to secure the reel with a rubber band or something.
I forgot to do this and the two sheets that I had in the tank were able to flop around quite considerably.
‘Cleft by the Share’
Camera: Seneca Chautauqua (c1905)
Film: Kodak Ektapan (x-01/1981); 100ISO
Process: Rodinal 1+100; 60min