The town of La Crosse, Washington (or LaCrosse… or Lacrosse – depending upon who’s writing it) was originally named La Crosse in 1888. In just a single short year, the small town grew up around the railroad station until it was large enough to require a post office.
However, the postmaster, a Mr. Taylor, didn’t care for the name, and officially applied for mail service using the town name of Dunlor – a combination of the name Dunphy (the last name of a railroad engineer) and his own name. The original application apparently bore the name LaCrosse, but Mr. Taylor crossed it out.
The settlers and farmers found that to be ridiculous. Why have the railroad station and town around it have the name La Cross, but the post office hold the name of Dunlor?
For a few years, the town wandered on with two official names, LaCrosse and Dunlor, until in 1896 when official correspondence with the United States Post Office listed the town as: “LaCrosse, (late Dunlor).”
‘On the Lea in Lines’
Camera: Argus C3 (1953)
Film: Kodak Vision 3 200T (5213)
La Crosse, Whitman County, Washington